Data Curation Specialist/Engineer
Cohen Veterans Bioscience (CVB) is seeking a Data Curator/Engineer to work in our New York City, NY Office or Cambridge, MA Office. Reporting to the Associate Director, Data Engineering, the Data Curator/Engineer will support the planning and implementation of data curation and submission for CVB’s growing data sharing platform, the BRAIN Commons.
The ideal candidate will be part of a dynamic team and will ensure data is generated, received, harmonized and structured in a timely and efficient manner to meet the needs of the data contributor. The ideal candidate will be a team player with highly evolved organizational, communication and inter-personal skills. Current authorization to work in the U.S. is required, sponsorship is not available.
- Development and execution of a semi to fully automated process for conversion of data to a format acceptable for submission to the data sharing platform
- Oversee and provide quality control for data prepared and submitted by other parties
- Provide user trainings on data model concepts, preparation and submission
- Desire to learn new concepts and data structures
- Develop and implement approved best practices, support the definition of new data standards, data models, terminologies, and ontologies; desire to learn about and seek new datasets
- Maintenance and revision of a brain disease data model by conforming with external vocabularies and data standards
- Ability to function within a multidisciplinary team of scientists, data scientists, developers and terminology experts
- Other duties as assigned
- Three (3) years of specialized experience in Data Engineering required.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in Bioinformatics, Biological Sciences, Information Science or Computer Science preferred.
- Understanding of and demonstrated expertise with a variety of data types e.g. clinical observations, genetic, multi-omic, neuroimaging.
- Proficient in data wrangling, data curation, and data integration of many data sources
- Experience with scientific data management tools and techniques, informatics systems, and managing scientific stakeholder relationships is highly desirable.
- Experience with curating and harmonizing data collected using wearables, sensors and apps is a plus
- Knowledge of the UNIX operating system, and familiarity with a scripting language (e.g., Perl or Python) or a statistical programming environment (e.g., R .
- Understanding of data standards, semantics, terminologies, ontologies, and best practices for data governance (e.g. CDISC, OHDSI, OMOP, NIH CDE or FHIR)
- Familiarity with the FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable) data guiding principles is a plus.
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms e.g. AWS/Google Cloud Compute.
- Understanding of biology and neuroscience is a plus.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Must be self-directed and able to work independently.
- Ability to travel approximately 20% of the time
- Authorization to work in the U.S. required without sponsorship
About Cohen Veterans Bioscience
Cohen Veterans Bioscience is a non-profit 501(c)(3) public charity research organization dedicated to fast-tracking the development of diagnostic tests and personalized therapeutics for the millions of veterans and civilians who suffer the devastating effects of trauma-related and other brain disorders.
Please visit https://cohenveteransbioscience.applicantpro.com to apply. Please include resume, cover letter, and salary requirements. We offer a highly competitive salary commensurate with experience and a full benefit package. A minimum of three references will be required. CVB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Publication Date: 2/14/20