The “invisible wounds of war” are not so invisible: The high rates of suicide and other maladies gripping our nation’s military families are right in front of us.
As people experience brain trauma differently, the field has been stymied by a one-size-fits-all approach and lack of objective tools and treatments to effectively diagnose and manage TBI and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). TBI and PTSD are risk factors of suicide. Learn about how organizations are collaborating and advocating to bring new solutions to Veterans and others who have sustained brain trauma.
In September 2021, Tristan Wimmer, Marine Veteran and Scount Sniper, Founder of 22 Jumps moderated a discussion with the 22 Jumps participants and veterans, including:
- Marcus Ellison – USAF, 8 years, Bridge Day organizer
- Eric Johnson – USA, Iraq and Afghanistan veteran, 21 years, Lt. Col (retired), USA trauma surgeon. Currently: Colorectal surgeon in Cleveland Clinic Foundation and Professor of Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University
- Dustin “Dusty” Gebhardt – USA, 11 years, still active, Afghanistan veteran as Pathfinder, Current Golden Knight
- Pepe Campos – USMC, Iraq and Afghanistan veteran, Infantryman, Prior Dept of State high-threat security contractor
- Michael Murphy – USMC, 11 years, still active, Current MARSOC Raider
- Brent Lake – USA, 8 years, Iraq and Afghanistan veteran, 2nd Battalion 75th Regiment (special operations)
- Chantelle Ferland-Beckham, PhD – Director, Policy and Advocacy, Cohen Veterans Bioscience
In May 2022, John Greenway, President of Mission2Alpha, moderated a discussion with the recent 22 Jumps participants and veterans, including:
- Tristan Wimmer, Marine Veteran and Scout Sniper, Founder of 22 Jumps
- Nick Cliche, US Air Force
- Andrew Katz, US Army
- Mark Zervas, PhD, Deputy Director, Translational Research & Development, Cohen Veterans Bioscience
- Mahmoud Ghannoum, PhD
- Eric Johnson, MD
Conversation with BASE Jumpers and Speakers of 22 Jumps Idaho
Participants and Veterans include: Tristan Wimmer, Nick Cliche, Andrew Katz, Mark Zervas, Mahmoud Ghannoum, Eric Johnson.
Moderated by John Greenway.