Director of Communications
Cohen Veterans Bioscience (CVB) is looking for a full-time Director of Communications who will be located in the NYC office. Cohen Veterans Bioscience (CVB) is looking for a Director of Communications to develop, implement and evaluate an annual communications strategic plan in collaboration with the CVB leadership team. This individual will be responsible for developing and implementing an integrated, organization-wide strategic communications plan to broaden awareness of CVB’s brand identity across key stakeholder audiences. This will include the creation of a brand/marketing/public relations strategy that will allow CVB leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media, public officials and key influencers. This position will work with the Scientific, Operations and Development teams to create detailed goal/ROI driven plans.
The Director of Communications will be responsible for project management, material development (press releases, etc.), social media strategy & execution, including online fundraising support, branding, external stakeholder interaction strategy, community growth and retention at CVB. They will also engage in direct awareness campaigns, as they relate to communications and must align their planning/activities with the overall goals of the organization.
The successful candidate will be personable, proactive and highly methodical in his/her attentiveness to detail, with 10+ years as an experienced communication professional, ideally in the biotech and/or medical sciences. Prior experience with similar organizations is strongly preferred. The candidate should be able to demonstrate both expert communication knowledge and a past record of strategic and tactical success. The applicant must possess strong verbal and written skills, to passionately communicate the needs and solutions for individuals with brain disease and specifically American Veterans to a variety of audiences.
- The candidate will be assigned to manage CVB communications and support the CVB mission to advance biomarkers, diagnostics, develop translational research tools, and accelerate therapeutic development for target brain diseases.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, Public Affairs to ensure all communication activities maximize the impact and effectiveness of branding and identity-building and share of voice for a newer organization
- Manage and regulate, in cooperation with the Executive Director, Public Affairs, all messaging both internally and externally, ensuring that CVB’s messaging is consistent across all platforms
- Vigilant monitoring of CVB’s presence on a variety of online forums, including social media, printed news, television, etc.
- Manage all external communication interaction, as it relates to perceptions and branding of CVB
- Lead efforts to streamline the communication process.
- Responsible for establishing internal and external communication processes and key performance indicators as they relate to communications
- Oversee administrative functions as they relate to communication management
- Work with multiple cross-functional stakeholders, responsible for developing resource plans for multiple large and small campaigns
- Manage multiple event/communication activities, with multiple functional teams, through full lifecycle from high-level concept to deployment.
- Develop and implement an integrated communications strategy both externally and internally
- Articulate CVB’s mission via communication activities in a clear and concise way that speaks to a variety of audiences.
- Develops new partnership opportunities by leveraging contacts, pursuing relevant leads, and improve communication efficiency
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- A minimum of a BA in communications or similar degree
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in communications; agency and in-house experience a plus
- Must have a strong working knowledge of communications, project management, and customer relations
- Familiarity of the biotech development process and/or experience in the veteran community is preferred
- Experience working with working in a Communications or Marketing team setting
- Must be familiar with fundraising and increasing revenue while maintaining a comprehensive and cohesive brand and identity
- Must be comfortable with public speaking and communicating both verbally and in writing
- Must be willing to challenge the standard thinking with new ideas, new approaches, and new solutions
- Must have strong decision-making skills and the determination to see projects through to the end
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, management, and collaboration
- Must be self-directed and able to work independently
- Proven ability to quickly earn the trust of key stakeholders; mobilize and motivate teams
- Must have proficiency with Microsoft Office: PPT, Word, Excel and Project Management Tracking software.
- Demonstrated leadership capability.
- Candidate must possess excellent team building, training and facilitation skills.
- Excellent English communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel approximately 10% of the time.
About Cohen Veterans Bioscience
Cohen Veterans Bioscience is a national, nonpartisan research 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to fast-tracking the development of diagnostic tests and personalized therapeutics for the millions of veterans and civilians who suffer the devastating effects of trauma-related and other brain disorders.
Please visit https://cohenveteransbioscience.applicantpro.com to apply. Please include resume, cover letter, and salary requirements. We offer a highly competitive salary commensurate with experience and a full benefit package. CVB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Publication Date: 8/6/19