Senior Director of Development
Cohen Veterans Bioscience (CVB) is in search of an exceptional fundraising professional to lead the development program for the organization. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer & President and serving as an integral member of the team, the Senior Director of Development (SDOD) will be responsible for the systematic growth of CVB’s development program. The SDOD will be an ambassador for the organization, deepening engagement with constituency groups and driving broader awareness and philanthropic support for the organization.
This individual will be responsible for growing CVB’s philanthropic revenue significantly over the next several years. A key initiative will be expanding and diversifying the organization’s funder base.
The right candidate will have proven success in growing and managing a high-performing development operation. In particular, s/he will have experience in successful major donor engagement and funding strategies and working with partners to support the efforts of a comprehensive development effort.
- Partner with the CEO & President and organizational leadership in taking CVB’s development program to the next level
- Provide leadership in all facets of the development program including planning, analysis, major donor identification and cultivation, coordination of volunteer leadership efforts and related activities
- Serve as a key member of CVB’s senior leadership team
- Develop strong and collaborative working relationships with other members of senior leadership to best understand CVB’s mission and programs, and effectively articulate this information to donors and the public
- Work effectively and collaboratively with the Chief Finance Officer and the Executive Director, External Affairs to ensure development activities are well coordinated with and supportive of company priorities
- Design, implement, and oversee a comprehensive, proactive development plan focused on expanding and enhancing institutional and high net worth relationships and building strategic partnerships
- Maintain and expand upon deep philanthropic relationships with a portfolio of leading high net worth individual and institutional prospects
- Identify emerging trends and opportunities in philanthropy that are relevant to the mission and programs of CVB
- Develop a strong donor pipeline that focuses on institutional and high net worth individual donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Design and execute fundraising proposals around key programs, in close collaboration with External Affairs team
- Engage CEO & President in key donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities
- Review development program and design strategies for setting progressive revenue goals, establishing meaningful metrics, and evaluating performance
- Oversee the building of an effective development infrastructure, including systems and data infrastructure, policies, and procedures to ensure effectiveness and accountability across the program
- Report regular progress against strategic goals, including donor engagement and stewardship touchpoints, revenue and quota targets, and pipeline management details
- Manage resources and outcomes efficiently and effectively
- As appropriate, determine the need for and recruit talented professionals to join a successful development team
- At least 10 years of development experience with progressively increasing responsibility, including at least 5 years of leadership and management experience
- 5-7 years of frontline major gift experience with demonstrated ability to grow a donor prospect base and successfully close five and six figure individual and institutional gifts
- Experience building and sustaining relationships among high net worth individuals, foundations, and corporations
- A strong understanding of and ability to communicate the mission and programs of CVB
- Success supporting and managing organizational leadership in donor cultivation and solicitation
- Ability to conceptualize and describe funding needs in a way that is compelling to prospects, donors, Board members, and other stakeholders
- Knowledge of communications and marketing with excellent communications skills
- Results oriented self-starter with an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit
- Passion for CVB’s mission and the ability to serve as an ambassador for the organization
- Experience working in academic medical or complex research institutions preferred
- Authorization to work in the U.S. required; basing out of the New York City Office preferred
About Cohen Veterans Bioscience
Cohen Veterans Bioscience is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) research organization dedicated to fast-tracking the development of diagnostic tests and personalized therapeutics for the millions of veterans and civilians who suffer the devastating effects of trauma-related and other brain disorders.
Please email your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
CVB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Publication Date: 4/27/20